It is the application of brake air , while engine is still running (turning ) in opposite direction
- Acknowledge the bridge request for reversal of direction
- Start air cam gets reversed due to telegraph acknowledgement.
- Fuel is cut off by running direction interlock.
- Put the fuel lever to " 0 " setting.
- When rpm reduces to 20 % to 40% MCR rpm , put the fuel lever to min: start setting.
- Astern rpm is much less than ahead rpm as engine is tremendously overloaded due to increased propeller slip.
- Start air becomes braking air because start air cam reversal allows air supply in for astern timings , when the engine is still moving with ahead timings