Every company should develop, implement and maintain a Safety Management System (SMS) which includes the following functional requirements:
- A safety and environmental protection policy;
- Instructions and procedures to ensure safe operation of ships and protection of the environment in compliance with relevant international and flag State legislation;
- Defined levels of authority and lines of communication between, and amongst, shore and shipboard personnel;
- Procedures for reporting accidents and non-conformities with the provisions of this Code;
- Procedures to prepare for and respond to emergency situations; and
- Procedures for internal audits and management reviews.