A hydrostatic release unit allows a liferaft to launch automatically if there isn’t time for crew to launch it manually.
- The strong white rope is secured to the deck or liferaft cradle and attached to the liferaft lashing with a sliphook.
- If the ship sinks, the water pressure will (within 4 metres) activate the sharp knife which cuts the white rope and the liferaft will float free.
- As the ship sinks, theliferaft painter line will be stretched and the liferaft starts to inflate.
- The Red Weak Link breaks and survivors can board the floating liferaft.
• Breaking strength of white rope sling: min 15kN.
• Breaking strength of red weak link: 2.2 +/- 0.4 kN