Before carrying out any maintenance on the windlass hydraulic unit, the entire system should be isolated.
This is to prevent any mishaps or accidents which may cause injury or loss of life and even damage the machinery.
Following actions must be carried out in order to isolate the system:
- Stop the hydraulic pump if it is running.
- Switch off the electric circuit breaker and control room circuit breaker.
- Shut off the pump suction and discharge valves and return line valves.
- If required, drain the oil from the system.
- Display ‘Men at Work’ warning board.
- Ensure anchors are lashed; bow stopper is in place and brakes applied.