Both Leak & Structural test
The greater of –
- Top of the overflow
- To 2.4m above top of tank
- To bulkhead deck
- Fill tanks by gravity to sea level.
- A ballast pump can be used if the vessel wishes, but is not recommended.
- If there are scuppers, then block scuppers as would be required for bunkering operations.
- Close sounding pipes tightly if these are at deck level.
- Open, or take off, air vent tops.
- Top up tank through air vents by fire hose until (assuming stern trim) water level is close to top of aft air vents.
- Ensure that fire hose can be stopped quickly as water level nears top of air vent.
- Check by sounding or ullage through the air vent, that water level in forward air vents has also risen towards top of air vents.
- Hold level for 30 minutes minimum and check if level in vent is falling or steady.
- Look for leaks.